Thursday, August 28, 2014

Halloween One Block Wonder with a Twist

Okay, I'm back!  Summer was great, but I will be SO glad when the kids go back to school next Tuesday so I can get something done again.  My daughter Tess is going in Grade 2 and my son Eli is going in Grade 4 French Immersion.  But enough about that -- now for QUILTING! 
-
I am making only one Halloween quilt this year. This is an idea that I've had forever and I thought trying it for a Halloween quilt would be perfect.  I am making a One Block Wonder (using the cutting method Maxine Rosenthal shows in her book) BUT instead of finding a fabric that would work, I am using a panel.  (6 of them of course actually)
Here they are.  I bought them for I believe about $2.79 US each, so definitely no more expensive than regular fabric if you know where to shop (Hint, hint: Marden's, Calais, Maine)  It is a Dan Morris "The Boo Crew" panel by RJR fabrics.  Anyhow, because it uses similar colours throughout, it is a perfect One Block Wonder candidate.  The great designs, words and frames should just add to the interest!
 I cut 4 inch triangles this time.  I did cut very carefully, fussy cutting and moving my ruler here and there to really get some well-captured elements of the design. 
 There is a ton of potential here.
And I've actually sewn a few blocks together already that I'll post next time.  It should look really cool.  So anyway -- a panel for a One Block Wonder, consider trying it!  And follow along to see how mine turns out!
-
Cheers!  Riel

7 comments:

Andrea R said...

Doh! Using a panel is a *great* idea!

Sherry said...

I would never have thought of using a panel. But, now that you have mentioned it I wonder if it would work for a Four Patch Posy quilt?

Hmmm, I can't wait to see how your blocks turn out!

Jenny said...

Nice to have you back again, my blog list has been very quiet with you away!

And..... looking forward to seeing what your next ghostie quilt will turn out like.

Mary W Quilts said...

Fun! I'm working on a one block wonder with Elvis panels from Mardens.

Julierose said...

Oh welcome back, Riel! Can't wait to see how this one comes out..hugs, Julierose

Annie Labruyère said...

great idea. Impatient to see how it turns!

Gwen said...

What a cool coincidence! One of my very first quilts was a One Block Wonder that I made using 8 Castle and Unicorn panels. The colors were mostly blues and blacks, and I made the blocks that look like spinning saw blades.. It is still one of my favorite quilts to this day! I am going to be on the lookout for some Halloween panels now! :-)