Monday, May 19, 2014

Bloggers' Quilt Festival: Scrappy Variation Rolling Stone

 
 Welcome to my virtual exhibit in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival!  This is my Scrappy Rolling Stone quilt.  I just finished binding it last night!  This is a traditional block which I super-sized (each block is 21 inches) and I did in a slightly different way by using HSTs so I could use a ton of scraps.
 The white background fabric is a combination of dots and ants!  Yes, ants.  This quilt seemed quite understated and not my usual style, so I thought that at least the ant fabric gave it some humour and whimsy.
 I wrote a quick mini tutorial to make blocks like this if you want to give it a try.  The tutorial is here.
 It is a perfect lap size quilt. 
And we have a VERY NEW family member at our house.  This is our kitten Lubec who we got two days ago!  He is a purebred Maine Coon.  We love him!  This picture makes me laugh as my kids are always sticking their tongues out in pictures too!
-
So, thanks for stopping by.  If you'd like to follow along with the blog there are links on the sidebar and there is also a link for my Facebook page.  To see lots of other quilts in the festival, just click here.

13 comments:

Charmed Life said...

I just love your quilt-the colors and the pattern are just fantastic. Thanks for tHe tutorial too!

Jess and Steve said...

So fun! I love the combination of ants and dots. Whimsical and fresh!

carol fun said...

Love the colors and the scrapiness! I recently bought several yards of an ant fabric because I saw you had used it in a couple of quilts and I love that from a distance it looks like dots but up close -- gotcha!

Happy stitching!

Laura said...

Great colors in this quilt!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love the quilt and the kitty photo....that's just way too cute.

Deb said...

Such a pretty quilt. We have a ginger kitty about that age too..they are so fun when they are cute and little like that.

CitricSugar said...

Very cute, Riel! And love that you modified it for plowing through scraps!

Your kitty looks snuggle-able! I had two that were part Maine Coon, which gave them HUGE feet. He'll be a big boy!

me ann my camera said...

I love the colour match up pattern combinations in the center block. I think your kitty does too,he looks contented and satisfied. now you have a great model to use in all of your quilt pictures! Love the quilt.
fredAnn

Ginette said...

I love the scrappiness of your quilt! The ants and dots are the perfect background and make it very you!

Kate said...

main coon cats are THE BEST. he will be a fabulous member of the family... and I think ginger kitties are very eccentric and individual and lots of fun! Enjoy.

Wendy said...

fab quilt! I love a good rainbow and you can't beat a spotty backing!

liniecat said...

Maines are such a delightful cat breed, enjoyyyyy : )

Live a Colorful Life said...

I love this quilt, Riel!! I found some ant fabric at my LQS--I need to go back and buy it!