Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year, Ice Storm Adventure, and a Christmas Quilt Finish!

 Okay then, first off, Happy 2014!  I have some big goals for the coming year and am super excited to get this thing started! 
-
And now, as you may or may not have heard, we had a wee bit of an Ice Storm here (New Brunswick, Canada) over Christmas.  See how thick the ice is on the branch above! There were downed tree branches all over the place and major power outages that are still being fixed.  Our power went out on December 23rd in the afternoon and didn't come back until mid-morning December 26th.  A unique Christmas to remember indeed.  (We took pics of the kids unwrapping their gifts wearing hoodies and snowpants!)
 But anyway, the ice made for a cool background for quilt pictures.  (It was just a very grey day when we were out though).  This is my Christmas One-Block Wonder all quilted and bound.
 I'm really pleased with how it turned out and must say I can even see myself making another of these in the future!
I used the fabric that I cut the blocks from for the outer border as well.
 I especially like the flying birds and stars blocks.  I also like how the blocks cut from the trees in the original fabric turned out to look like wreaths.
We still have all the ice on the trees, but hopefully it will just melt gradually enough as not to cause more problems. 
-
Thanks for stopping by!  Cheers to a wonderful 2014! Posted by Riel Nason

8 comments:

Rene' said...

Happy new year! Gorgeous quilt. Hope the weather calms down and no more crazy ice storms.

Julierose said...

Lovely quilt--looks like it was a lot of work! lol I hear that the next big snow/ice event is hot footing (or is that ice-footing?) it in our direction here in SE CT..for us on the Coast 5 -10" of snow is a big deal! and temps below zero, too. Well, we have gas for our generator and food--so we'll be fine...hugs, Julierose

HollyM said...

The quilt is beautiful and unique! My son and fiancé live in an apartment in Greenwood Park and were very lucky not to have list their power. I guess it'll be a Christmas to remember but I feel for those who are still without.
Happy new year!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Those one block wonder quilts never cease to amaze me! Yours is wonderful! Happy new Year to you and your family.

Laura said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I like the way you used the fabric as the border too.

eileensideways said...

gorgeous, amazing, beautiful

Mary said...

The quilt turned out beautiful! I love how you arranged the blocks. Perfect setting to display it outside. Brrrrrrr.....that ice looks awful!

rosepetal said...

I know this comment is somewhat late (a month!) but I just wanted to tell you that I LOVE this Christmas quilt. The fussy cut blocks are beautiful and the colors go together so well.