Friday, November 9, 2012

Goodbye Halloween, Hello Christmas: Selvage Tree in Progress

 Okay, moving right along now, I've started a little Christmas project.  Everything seems crazy busy at my house lately, so I thought something small -- wallhanging size -- was the way to go, rather than starting a big quilt.  I decided to make a selvage Christmas tree.  It's about 2 feet tall I think.  The picture above is how it started.
 Here it is with more detail added.  And, yes I make a big mess when I quilt.  I sit on the floor and just throw the fabric around wherever.
 I have the background chosen.  Nothing is sewn down at this point.
 Here's the base.  I may or may not keep the black base.  I can't decide if it is too dark or not.  I may make a blue base, as if the tree is sitting in a blue pot.
 The little selvage star.  Also not all sewn together yet.
And this is a close-up of the red selvage garland.  I love that it says "Fabric for Perfect Occasions" because yes, I think it looks perfect on this tree!
-
And while I'm here, I'd like to say THANK YOU to everyone who has voted and helped spread the word about my novel The Town That Drowned being in contention for Canada Reads.  The voting continues until Monday night.  I would love to squeak through to the next round, but I just don't know, it's pretty fabulous competition that I'm up against.  Anyhow, the link to the voting and more information is here.
-
Posted by Riel Nason


12 comments:

Mary said...

Your tree wall hanging is adorable. I love the red ribbon garland! Great touch.

Kim said...

Now wouldn't those trees make adorable holiday placemats?
Have you had good results from washing your salvage creations?

I wish I could vote for you but it is not open to us below the border :0).

Happy Sewing

Pat V. said...

What fun! This is going to be great!

Angie said...

Oh wow, I am seriously in love with your Christmas tree!!

HollyM said...

I love your tree!
Good luck with the Canada Reads vote too! I voted. I've recommended your book to whomever I could. I do a lot of reading, and not to be snobby, but I don't read just anything! That does sound snobby. Anyway, your book was a very good read.

Lynne said...

That looks fabulous, Riel.

Annie said...

I absolutely love your tree! And the star too! The orange background is throwing me off for christmas, but I so do like it!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I voted for your book! The selvage tree looks great! Orange is one of my favourite colours...

Riel Nason said...

Thanks everyone and thanks for the votes. :-) I know everyone is predisposed to think I use orange in everything because I often do, but actually this time that background is a beige/carmel/gingerbread colour. I know if probably isn't translating right on the computer screen. But really, I know orange isn't an Xmas colour. Hee, hee. :-)

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is super cute. I'm also working on a table runner with three different selvage trees. At least I see it in my head. We'll see how it translates into actuality. Love your star on top!!

And i hope HOPE you make it through to the next round. Because as you know--your book is one of my top favorites!

StitchCat said...

That's one awesome tree :-)

Anonymous said...

Ok, your sight drove my creative mind wild during Decemer! I love selvege edge anything! I made several ornaments and even used your tree idea to make new stockings for our family this year. I also made time to read your book that I learned about fro. Your site! Loved it!!!! Thanks for all the ideas!! Tommie T.