Thursday, April 19, 2012

Happy Earth Day: Recycled Selvage Quilt

 Happy Earth Day!  My Recycled Selvage Quilt is all done.  I am very happy with it.  As I mentioned in my previous post about this quilt, it is an idea I've had forever and I'm so glad it's finally done!  It only seemed right to make a recycle symbol out of the ultimate recycled quilting scraps -- selvages!
 It is 36 inches square.  I actually have it hanging up in the house.  I am not much of a quilts-on-walls person at all, but I guess this is the exception. 
 I quilted it with a pointy angled stipple type design.  I think my quilting is improving a little, although I still have a long way to go.  I still just use the regular presser foot on my machine while quilting.  I don't have a walking foot.  I do the design freestyle; I don't draw it out.  It is actually easy to do.  It just takes a lot of moving the quilt around.   It is basically stitch, stop, swivel, stitch, stop, swivel, times about a thousand.
 It has a scrappy binding made with green fabric leftovers.
And a word about my selvage supply, since I get asked every time I post a selvage quilt.  They are not all selvages from my own fabrics.  I certainly save all my own selvages, but lots of other people give me selvages too.  I  would never ever have enough to do all the projects I do if I had to rely only on my own selvages.  I also never buy a fabric just for the selvage -- I really feel that would be going against the whole idea of using scraps/recycling.
-
Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Earth Day on Sunday and Happy Quilting! 
-
Posted by Riel Nason on The Q and the U

16 comments:

Rachel said...

Lovely quilt as usual. I love your selvedge creations, but this one is for sure unique and a great play on recycling. Love it.

Cheers!
Rachel
Scrapendipity Designs

Laura said...

You are so creative! I really like this one.

DeVona said...

Very, very inspired and wonderful quilt! I love the outdoor photos of it, too!

Kristie said...

Very cute, Riel!

The Cozy Quilter said...

perfect for Earth Day! happy Quilting!

quilthexle said...

What a lovely quilt - so cheery and clever! LOVE it ;-))

Katell, quilteuse forever said...

I love it!
For the Earth Day on Sunday, I will put a link to this post on my blog because I find it so on purpose!
Katell, France

Live a Colorful Life said...

I just love this quilt!

KatyK said...

How appropriate! Wonderfully creative
Thanks for sharing

Riel Nason said...

Thanks so much everyone! :-) !!!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's a fabulous quilt! Love the colours and the energy!

Dresden Quilter said...

What a great idea! I love the use of the selvages! Congratulations on your nomination!

Vesuviusmama said...

Oh my goodness, that is just brilliant! I haven't been reading blogs for a while, so I have missed out if you've posted about this before. The idea and the execution - I just love it!

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

THAT is terrific!!!

Sew Sisters Quilt Shop said...

LOVE this quilt! Love Love Love!!!
Carol

GeeGee said...

I found your blog when surfing for selvage quilts. I have been collecting selvages and this is the first quilt that has intrigued me. I would love to make this and wondered if you would share your templates? Thank you.