Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hello 2012 ...

 ... I have a good feeling about you. 
-
So, here we go again.  It is kind of the usual thing that a New Year's Day blog post looks forward to the year ahead.  I guess I'll try a little, just by saying: Expect more of the same.  Expect 10-15 quilts, all my own designs, some will have selvages in them, some will have orange fabric in them, and at least one will likely be a Halloween quilt.  Quilting is my hobby.  It is my creative outlet.  I quilt with no obligation. My main goal is to amuse myself and make things for my kids.
-
That said, I do have a couple of  things I am going to try this year, that I can mention, to make this post sound more official ...
 I am going to enter a quilt in the Canadian Quilters Association National Juried Show because this year the show is being held just 4 hours away from me in Halifax, NS.  Do I expect to actually have the quilt accepted?  Maybe.  I believe in thinking positive.  But I won't be disappointed when it isn't.  I think it is more about putting yourself out there and trying. 
-
I want to make a charity quilt top for Victoria's Quilts.  Our guild has a wonderful committee that quilts them, so I just need to make a top.  I also want to make a few neonatal quilts to donate to the local hospital, same as last year.
So.  That's it for the quilty stuff.  Oh yes, except the pictures?  It is a scrap quilt in progress for my son.  The sashing cracks me up. 
-
As to other things, I may blog a little less frequently.  I am working on my new novel as of a week from now when everyone is out of the house and back at preschool, school, work.   I am on Twitter now @RielNason, if anyone is interested in following along.  My tweets won't be quilting related though, but bookish stuff, and random thoughts I suppose.  Also, on the topic of books, the fabulous Erin at My Patchwork Life is giving away a copy of The Town That Drowned.  It is her own copy, just because she is a nice person who wanted to share it.  Thank you Erin!
-
Okay then, bye for now.  Happy 2012 !!!
-
Posted by Riel Nason on The Q and the U

15 comments:

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Great goals!
And I absolutely love the sashing...cracks me up too!
Happy New Year to you, and may it be healthy, happy and productive!

Needled Mom said...

Happy new year. It sounds like you will be busy.

Cathy said...

Happy new year, Riel! It reminds me of the book by Chris Van Allsburg... 2 Bad Ants. It is a great book and great fabric! Good luck with your writing.

Mimi said...

Beautiful quilt and so bright... cheerful! Best wishes in the New Year!!!

DeVona said...

Best wishes for 2012, Riel!

Shelley said...

Happy New Year Riel! And if you need someone to "preview" your new novel, just give me a buzz lol!

HollyM said...

I love the scrappy quilt colors!
I read your book a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoyed. When a book is good I actually try to slow down my reading and make it last. I speed read the not so good ones. I took it as slowly as I could but I had to finish it. I highly recommend it and I look forward to the next one.
I cannot imagine being able to write a book.

Ginette said...

I look forward to seeing what you will create in 2012 Riel! All the best to you and yours!
Oh, and I love that quilt! The sashing is adorable!

Teje said...

Hi Riel! Wonderful quilt again going on! Good luck for your new novel! I am looking forward to share this new year with you!
Happy New year!
x Teje

Lynne said...

Great goals - uncomplicated (but not necessarily simple).

Happy New Year - I wish you all the best for your second novel.

deb said...

Happy New Year!
I love your quilts, and will enjoy seeing your newest creations.
I have a brother who writes (his newest book has just come up for ordering; I'll need to read your book this year - is it available on Kindle?

Michelle C said...

That sashing is the bee's knees! Who made it, please? Perhaps I can locate another piece for my own b&w collection.

Anne said...

I love your quilts they are so much fun and I have fabric that I purchased for my grandson when he was little. Bugs ,cowboys, dinosaurs etc. Perhaps I can make a colourful quilt with them . I look forward to 2012 have a great year!

Riel Nason said...

Thanks so much everyone! :-) The ants sashing fabric is by Timeless Treasures. I looked for it for a long time and when I finally found some I bought the rest of the bolt!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Cute sashing! Well, I'm not as nice as Erin, that's for sure--I can't bear to part with my personal copy of your book! Although I DID loan it to my best friend, a former librarian, and she LOVES it!