Monday, September 19, 2011

Halloween Candy Pillow

 It's pretty hard to go to a quilt show and not be struck by the urge to make something.  I managed to direct my creative energy into a nice small and quick project -- this Halloween candy pillow.  It only took about an hour to make and I love it. 
 Several factors led to the making of this ... I let Eli and Tess each pick out a FQ to buy at the quilt show and they each chose a Halloween candy fabric.  Then Violet from our guild gave me a super cute large Halloween fabric scrap in brights (in the middle of the pillow).  Then I went to Value Village to check for vintage sheets and found a neck roll pillow form new in the original package.  Is it any wonder the idea for this popped into my head?
 I had the red and yellow striped fabric in my stash (Yes, I am probably the only person who has clown pants fabric as part of their regular stash, but in all honesty, I had bought the fabric thinking it may be an interesting binding for The Selvage Mummy.  Anyway, I think it is perfect in this pillow.)
 A close up.
 I put a little decorative stitching on the edge so it would look a bit more like a candy wrapper.
 This picture shows the inside of the ends.  I didn't have a pattern.  If you are thinking of making one like this, basically just make a tube.  Each end where the striped fabric is I put on like a pillowcase cuff so the inside is completely finished too.  I sewed up the tube with French seams so everything is neat.  After I slid the pillow in, I tied the ends with ribbon.  I double knotted so it wouldn't come undone.
The pillowcases in the background are a recent finish too.  Those Halloween cats were my choice of fabric from the quilt show.  Eli's pillowcase has a red dotted cuff and Tess's has a cuff with little pumpkins.  For now they have to take turns with the candy pillow, and it did become the subject of some "negotiation" last night at bedtime.  :-)
-
Thanks for stopping by.  I have a few more quilt show pics to post for next time.  I'll need to show you my quilts I entered.  One actually got a ribbon (not the Mummy).
-
Posted by Riel Nason on The Q and the U
-
Since this little pillow has all my favourite bright Halloween colours, I'm linking with Celebrate Color.  I'm also linking with Sew Modern Monday and Made by You Monday ... and I was invited to link to a cool new linky called Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Linky Party which looks wickedly cool -- TONS of ideas there.

10 comments:

M-R said...

Ove the pillow, Riel. So fun!

Annie said...

Fun halloween decoration piece...for young and old.

Suzanne said...

That's so clever. Maybe you'll have to start putting out to the universe a need for another neck roll pillow so each can have his or her own.

Stray Stitches said...

The candy pillow is just so cute!!! And the pillow cases look like lots of fun.
Congrats on winning a ribbon! Looking forward to seeing which one was the winner. Your mummy should have been a big winner!!

Megan said...

Yay for Halloween! I love it all! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

Lynne said...

How cute! So happy and fun!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Love! I would be thrilled if you would join my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party!

http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2011/09/wickedly-creative-halloween-ideas-linky.html

Marilyn said...

Wow, how festive..These turned out amazing..Great photo's as well.. love it.. I would LOVE for you to link it up to my fall crawl blog party.. I'm officially following ya with smiles - I found ya on linky..GREAT blog with Lots of inspirations here :)) - the link to link up is http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-crawl-day-12-blog-party.html

Urban Stylist In the Country... said...

FANATACTIC! Need that pillow! Gotta search my stash.
:)
Gaylene

Michelle said...

That's pretty -- the striped fabric really makes it look more like a giant candy.