So here's my latest I Spy Quilt which will be a birthday gift for my niece. As you can see, this time I separated the blocks into rows.
This quilt design passed the trial run by my I Spy testers (my kids). As suspected, when they played the game, they would say it's "in this row" or "in the big middle part" or "at the end of a row" as a clue if we didn't guess right away, exactly as I hoped. I think it is important when designing an I Spy quilt to divide the squares into sections somehow to make the game easier/less frustrating(and more interactive) to play.
I followed my usual trend of using a nice muted subtle sashing. I had a few other possibilities picked out, but this orange just made everything come alive!
The quilt measures about 49 by 53. If you would like to make one like this yourself, here are some stats and measurements ...
I used 143 I Spy squares. They are all 4 inch squares. The I Spy rows were 13 squares long and there are 11 rows arranged as shown in the photos. I think rows of 12 squares long would still make the quilt a nice size for a toddler, and actually a more rectangular shape, but I wanted to use as many squares as possible.
The sashing is cut at 2.5 inches wide. I cut 16 strips of sashing going across the fabric selvage to selvage. I think I used about 1 1/4 yards of fabric and I had some leftover.
I arranged all the squares on the floor first rather than chain piecing anything. I think it is best to completely arrange them all to distribute colours, busy verses plainer patterns, and content (you don't want 3 prints with bugs on them right in a row)
It will take 3 yards for backing.
My niece's birthday isn't until the end of October, so I've got lots of time to get this quilted.
Thanks for stopping by!
Posted by Riel Nason on The Q and the U