Monday, August 1, 2011

I Spy Planet Hexy Quilt Completed

I Spy Planet Hexy is all done!  It's my own design, made with 146 fussy-cut I-Spy one-inch hexies balanced on towers of Kona solids.  I made this for my son as a gift for finishing kindergarten.
I hand-stitched down the binding as we were driving to Maine on vacation. 

You can see the quilting in this photo.  (Click to enlarge if you wish).  I quilted it with lots of straight lines.  I don't have a walking foot; I just use my regular presser foot, but the quilting went well with no bunching.  If it seems like the fabric is even slightly starting to bunch as I quilt along, I just put my needle down, lift the foot and smooth the fabric.  I pin baste and for this I used a TON of pins.
-
I didn't put any quilting lines on the coloured towers, but just outside them.  I also didn't quilt over the hexy stacks.  I used white thread and a stitch length of 4 (I usually use 3.5)  I still need major practice with quilting and I don't feel the confidence with quilting that I do with my piecing, but I am definitely improving.
This shows the quilt backing.  It is sooo soft.  It is PC Plaid by Prints Charming. 
Will it be annoying if I proclaim that this is my new favourite quilt?  (I know I say that often)  Oh well, too late.  I love it.  And my son does too.  As you can see in the pics it is a bit wrinkled because as soon as the binding was on, we used it for the rest of our trip.
-
And now in other news, book news that is, thank you so much to everyone who has preordered my novel The Town That Drowned.  I actually have an Amazon.ca / Amazon.com sales rank now, so that means that at least a couple of copies have been ordered!   Yay!  I also realised that before I didn't mention that I have an author website, http://www.rielnason.com/.  It is a pretty basic site, but it makes me feel writerly and official.  ;-)
-
Thanks for stopping by.

20 comments:

Lynne said...

I think it would be my favourite quilt too (if it were mine).

Love the new blog header although I was momentarily confused by the missing Selvages!

VivJM said...

I can see why this would be your new favourite quilt!! It's lovely. And I'm glad your son loves it too ;-)

Needled Mom said...

I love the quilt. It looks fabulous and the backing is wonderful.

Lisa Ann said...

Lovely quilt! Very interesting design and that backing does, indeed look very soft and cozy!

LynCC said...

I just LOVE this quilt, and the back is super cool :)

Edamommy said...

Firstly, I love the quilt, especially the visual energy of it.

Secondly, the book looks like an interesting read. :) I'll see if I can get some into Sundog Books. I'm wondering - is it more something that could go in our older teen books, or is it more adult or....

Also, it comes out on my birthday and will therefore do quite well, as it's debut is on the best day of the year. ^_-

Teje said...

Hi Riel! This quilt became so wonderful! I love your design and it's my favourite, too!
xxx Teje

Stray Stitches said...

What a darling I Spy quilt! It is so different than all of the other I Spy quilts out there. Congrats on a wonderful finish :)

Suzanne said...

How amazing that you were able to get such good results without a walking foot! It's a wonderful finish that I know you will all enjoy.

Clare said...

Love love love it! I hear you about the machine quilting. I'm too much of a chicken to attempt it on a quilt, but am mucking about with batting scraps and bits of fabric.

Sue said...

gorgeous.... you are so creative and I am always impressed !!! I am just finishing up a quilt based on a painting by a friend. She commissioned it and I am very happy with how it turned out. Will post photo as soon as binding is on..
Have a great vacation....
Sue

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

Such a creative and fun quilt. Really great! So happy to have found you.

noga quilts said...

This is such a beautiful quilt! The I Spy hexes are amazing! I'm sure your son loves this great quilt.

Congratulations on your new book!

Cathy said...

It reminds me of backgammon! Great finish!!!!!

and I don't like heights either. Yech!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roslyn said...

What a sensational quilt - it has colour, creativity and originalness. I don't think much of hexagons but you have presented them in a totally new light. CONGRATS
It has challenged me to take a 'boring' element and do something amazing with it.

Vesuviusmama said...

Your new favorite, huh? Have you ever finished a quilt and NOT said that? Granted, all your quilts are so original, it is hard to fall in love with them.

Lyanna L. said...

What a fun quilt idea! I really like the hexagons. Also congrats on your first book! =)

ConundrumChum said...

Saw this on the QuiltStory blog and absolutely love this quilt. A wonderful design!

Kris said...

I love this! What a creative way to use hexis. It is absolutely cute, cute, cute! I might have to make one with my bag of hexis that never became a quilt.

codice promozione said...

Wow I like this quilt color and design. In this quilt I like most quilt background.