Monday, June 20, 2011

Attack of the Mutant I Spy Quilt

 Okay, somebody better call Guinness to see if there is a category for World's Biggest I-Spy Quilt. This thing is redonkulous. It is 106 inches long (!) and about 90 inches wide ... it is made of 538 unique four inch squares (no repeats) ...
-
Click any photo to enlarge if you wish.
 Here's a long shot to get an idea of the size.  It is on the upper deck of my parents' big old house.
 And yes, I'll be the first to admit that I went a little overboard, but oh well, life is short, my kids will only be little for so long, etc. ... And speaking of the kids, they are very excited it is done!  We will be taking this quilt along with us as we travel this summer -- to help make hotel rooms cosier and to serve as entertainment whenever the need may arise.
 I sent it out to be quilted by long-arm and chose an allover teddy bear pantograph.
While making this I mentioned that I used a different colour of Kona cotton to sash each of the 16 different 25 patch squares.  It helps the whole quilt look less busy and also serves as a "clue" to use when playing I-Spy ...
 This strange purple fabric is what I used for the backing.  It kind of has an I Spy feature itself.  Those are walking sticks on it.
 My handsome helpers.  My Dad and my husband Shane.
Thanks for stopping by!  I'll be having linky fun by going all out for my one post a week that I link up by joining in with  {Sew} Modern Monday, Manic Monday , Made by You Monday , Fabric Tuesday and a new-to-me linky Sew Cute Tuesday
-
And it is hard to believe but this is the final week of kindergarten for my son and next week is the final week of preschool for my daughter!  I'll be mostly away from the computer over the next little bit, finishing up some writing-related things before summer fun starts ... see you again in a week or so!
Follow on Bloglovin

36 comments:

Lynne said...

It is very large - a perfect sharing quilt!

I love it.

Elizabeth D. said...

Riel, this is SOOOOO amazing!! I love it! I love the way you added solids to break up the squares and give the eye a rest. The pantograph you chose is really perfect for this. I can't wait to hear about your kids playing with this quilt! :)

Stray Stitches said...

Congrats on a fantastic finishing! I really like how you divided the quilt into larger squares with the solid sashings. It will be a quilt loved by your children for years to come :)

M-R said...

Wow, that is big, but so much fun! Your kids will have a ball with it! I love how you used the solids to unify it and the walking stick backing is so fun.

Linda said...

How beautiful! Just think how many kids can sit on it and play the "I spy" game! It would look fantastic on a bed in a child's bedroom, too!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This is the best I Spy quilt EVER!! Besides being endless fun, it is stunningly beautiful! What a treasure!

Kelly said...

amazing! It's huge! and what a treat to bring along on vacation, it will make the kids cozier :) have fun!

DeVona said...

Tremendous job! Have a wonderful summer!

Jessica said...

Wow! That's just fantastic! Coolest blog post I've seen all morning :) Thanks for sharing your quilt!

LynCC said...

Fabulous!!! And a fabulous house for its photo op! :D I'm in love with that walking stick fabric.

Needled Mom said...

It is fabulous!!!! I love the color against the old house.

Rachel's Quilts said...

Looks amazing! Have fun playing I-Spy.

Jenny said...

Incredible feat! You must have the largest i spy quilt ever!

Angie said...

That quilt is totally AWESOME and so is your parents' house. :D

MJ said...

Awesome!!! I love it - now that's what you call an I Spy Quilt!!

Cindy said...

WOW! It looks fantastic! What a great quilt :)

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

SO.FREAKING.COOL

felicity said...

Completely, utterly and wonderfully incredible. It's not often you see a fresh interpretation of the I Spy quilt, but you've succeeded here, Riel! I love it!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I spy something beginning with A - An absolutely amazing, awesome quilt!!

Cathy said...

AWESOME!!!!! And I love your parent's house! You have very talented quilt holders too!

Laura said...

That quilt looks amazing. I really love it!

The Cozy Quilter said...

You could play several games of I spy at once with that quilt! Love it! Gail. another Canadian

Dresden Quilter said...

It is awesome!

Lotti said...

Lovely and colourful, looks great

noga quilts said...

What an amazing I Spy quilt! I can't believe the amount of work. The quilt is gorgeous, lucky kids!

susan said...

That is HUGE! How you kept track of all those different squares of fabric is beyond me and really impressive. Great quilt!

Carla said...

Holy Moly Batman! That is a large quilt. I'm sure your kids are going to have lots of fun Spying for all the items.

Kessel's Quilts said...

Wow! Beautiful and large!

Quiltstory said...

WOW!! So great! My kids would go nuts with that, so cute, lots to look for and snuggle under.

PS Your parents home is GORGEOUS!!

Suzanne said...

I can't get over this quilt! 500+ unique fabrics! WOW! Having done some I spy quilts myself I know how the collection grows quickly. It's hard not to see fabric and buy it when I have my I Spy lens on. I really like the idea of the frames around the fabrics and think the backing compliments the front so well.

Amy said...

very nice!!! I also got the package you sent me.. THANK YOU!!! I have some more selvedges for you.how is the post up there?

Eileen said...

Beautiful!

SewHappyGeek said...

You are totally crazy but I adore the quilt! Wish mine was still little so I could make one!

Leanne said...

This is just wonderful! I expect your kids will have a lot of years of snuggling and playing under it.

Mary said...

I really like this! Your quilts are so colorful.

Canadian Kristin said...

OOOOH! LOVE IT! How smart you are to add different colour Konas for I-Spy hints if needed! Brilliant! And I super love how ginormous that sucker is... perfect for watching fireworks or laying on the grass star-gazing cuz all 4 of you can easily fit under it with the sides wrapped up and over you! So fun!!!