Monday, January 3, 2011

I Wonder If They'll Kick Me Out?

Kick me out of the KVQG -- Kennebecasis Valley Quilt Guild -- that is. You see, when I joined the Guild back in September I was given the above bits of fabric and little pattern to make my name tag to wear to guild meetings. I have been wearing a temporary tag, but I thought it was about time I put the real tag together. Except ... I kind of went in a different direction. Like a total-U-turn sort of different direction. I blame it on the fact that I neither know how to applique nor do anything curved. Look at the above pieces. The sun part is supposed to be circular. Oh, oh. So anyway, I was trying to think of a way to approach it all and still do an okay job, when ... my pile of selvages caught my eye.
Next thing I know, the mini quilt above became my name tag. In my defense, I did kind of follow the pattern guide. The size and layout are the same. I used a green (greenish-blue) hill and a brown hill. My setting sun is yellow. My name is where it is supposed to be. And I even had good intentions of using the black bias tape I was given, but the piece in my kit was too short.
-
So I made some orange binding. I have been on the receiving end of some good-natured joking and teasing about my quilt colour choices, so the orange works.

All kidding aside, I like my tag okay. I admit it's kind of gaudy and weird. The idea seemed better to me than the actual result. They are a little hard to see, but some of the selvages I chose say "Mingling" "Friends" and "Hello"(which I got too close to the edge and the H is under the binding).
-
And also all kidding aside, I wouldn't have done this if I didn't think it was reasonable. I have a lot of respect for the ladies in the Guild -- all of whom have more quilting experience than me. I've noticed some other members have jazzed up their name tags with lace, etc. so hopefully my name tag is seen in the same way.

Oh, and yes, I've started my first quilt of the new year.
It's just something simple to get going again, since my sewing machine has been hibernating for a while now. I've done Pretty in Pink, now it's Pretty in Purple.
-
Happy Quilting and Welcome to my New Followers! I LOVE to see that number go up. My promise to you is to try to keep the content here creative and interesting. Thanks so much for stopping by!

14 comments:

Linda said...

Im pretty sure they wont kick you out of the guild with that sweet little nametag! Everyone will want one like yours!! Love the colours of your new quilt. Very pretty.

Canadian Kristin said...

Such a rebel, Riel! I would expect nothing less than a selvage name badge for Quilt Qulub in Quispasmus!!!

LOL

Love all those purples!!!

Vesuviusmama said...

You, rebel, you! If they don't just love your nametag then phooey on them! I think it is great!

Katie M. said...

I love your name tag. I think all name tags should help reflect who you are.

autumnesf said...

I'm currently working on 11 purple lap quilts for a group of ladies so I got a kick out of seeing your pretty in purple.

Anonymous said...

you ARE a rebel, and I love it... I am amazed that they are still giving out that same fabric for the nametag... Time it was updated for sure.. I want one like yours....Making circles is not hard... gather some fabric around anything round, a loonie will do fine, press it and when it is cool, remove the loonie. pull the gathering stitches a bit and it will stay round.. for future reference....

Sue said...

meant to sign Sue..... somehow I can only post using anonymous....

Dresden Quilter said...

I think your name badge is fabulous!

Cathy in KS said...

I can't believe you have only quilted for a year. Your stuff is great! The name tag is perfect.

Annie said...

I think your name tag is terrific and original and unique and utterly YOU. I like the drumbeat you are walking to.

Barb said...

I like your unique name tag - hooray for selvages.
Your new purple project is great.
happy new year

Anonymous said...

I found you thru Whip Up and really enjoyed the Selvage Snowman. I love your use of color in your quilts. Keep up the good work.

Mary said...

I think your name tag looks super and very must like your quilts! We have name tags for our guild, too and I have seen women wear the basic piece of fabric for months just pinned to their clothes until they get around to actually making it. Lol! We are the Raintree Quilters Quilt and have a block with the tree printed on it and our name...how we finish it is our business. I never thought to put a photo of mine in my blog...will have to do that!

jmbmommy said...

That is the best story I have heard about a name tag in a LONG TIME! Wear it with pride as long as you want to, I love it!!