Sunday, January 9, 2011

I Heart Selvage Quilting: Part 1

So here we go again ... I will readily admit that working with selvages is my favourite type of quilting! I am excited to get going on this next quilt!
I have a plan. And I also have a rough sketch of what I hope the finished quilt will look like. But rather than share the sketch like I did for the Selvage Snowman, I think I'll just let this one gradually reveal itself.
The title of this post should be a pretty good clue as to the theme of the quilt, as well as the colours I'm using. And the time of year is a clue ... I made a Halloween selvage quilt, a Christmas selvage quilt ... hmmmm, what comes next? ... ;-)
-
These pieces I have done so far are definitely a case of doing the easiest first.
-
I have lots of new ideas and ways of using selvages that I can't wait to try!

You may recognise some selvages from the fabric in my recent Pretty in Purple quilt. Most of the others aren't from my own fabrics, but from generous quilter friends!!! I really wish I could just buy selvages by the bolt and always have as many as I need, but at the same time, it sure is fun to get an envelope in the mail, or receive a little goody bag from a friend filled with selvage surprises!
I have more pieces cut and ready to be sewn.
Raw materials.
And more raw materials. Lots of pretty scraps for the non-selvage parts!
-
Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

Barb said...

looks like a great new project. I was married on Valentines Day, so it has a special place in my heart.

So.....what do you do with all that good fabric left over from selvages, lol....

Amy said...

I love Valentines day, I will be checking to see how this comes together,Amy

me ann my camera said...

I don't think you're planing on celebrating Ground Hog's Day! That is my day, but it has to be valentines!!!
Gram Blue Chick
We love the purple! and the quilt rack too.

Sandra said...

I, too, save the selvages! Love 'em!! My daughter-in-law saw my sack full of them and she now is saving hers, too. Your pics inspire me to save every piece I can get my hands on!!

Vesuviusmama said...

It takes A LOT of selvages to make a quilt - what do you do with all the fabric from which you have cut the selvages?

Mimi said...

You sure do have an eye for colour - love your creations!!

Jenny said...

Valentine's Day is so special - I look forward to seeing your creation come to life.

VeeV said...

Ah Valentines Day!!

_ _
/ \ / \
| \ / |
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\/

VeeV said...

^ oops well that didn't turn out at all..

Rene' said...

Love all your selvage projects. I remember seeing your O'Lantern one during the Blogger's Quilt Festival, but I adore the snowman one. Looking forward to seeing how you finish this one.

Shelley said...

I hope those are Hearts! Love what you did for your guild badge...it's so YOU!! Guess where I'll be Feb 3,4,5,6.......Villa Madonna!!

Annie said...

I'm staying tuned. Can't wait to see what comes next.