So I think this is my new favourite project! It certainly adds a bit of summery energy to our tundra-like still-deep-winter conditions around here. This was a fun weekend project that my daughter Tess (she's 7) and I made together. Saturday after supper we went to Value Village (a second-hand store like Goodwill) and bought a Queen-sized 100% cotton sheet for $4.99. Then we stopped at Walmart and bought a tie-dye kit for I think about $22.00. By Sunday night, we had the result above!
The squares are 12 inches each finished. We made 31 squares so that we would have some choice. I cut the sheet up into blocks around 14-15 inches each to start before the dying. That left lots of room for the fabric to fray while washing/drying and also allowed me to center a design I liked when trimming to size.
These were our 20 favourite squares.
The one on the upper left here is my favourite.
Our dye colours were lime green, turquoise, red, orange and magenta. The red faded to more of a pink.
We used half of our dye kit and did the 31 squares plus 2 pairs of my daughter's socks.
We twisted and wrapped every which way we could think of. Instructions for wrapping came with the kit and we tried those and improvised too. We dampened the fabric with a spray bottle before we started. I think that was a good move as the dye seemed to blend nicely. We used the elastics that came with the kit and also lots of little Rainbow Loom elastics.
Here they are outside with the dye on. It was freezing out! But I didn't want to take a chance with the dye in the house. I am not the neatest person when it comes to creative projects. There is a plastic bag on top of the snow. The damp fabric was starting to freeze as we were dying it. We also put some snow sprinkles on top of some of the dyed bits. The instructions in the kit say nothing about snow/freezing/etc, but it does say to keep the dyed fabric wrapped in plastic for at least 6 hours to let the dye soak in. You are not to let the fabric dry out. I knew that outside nothing would be drying out whatsoever.
I covered the dyed fabric with another plastic sheet then weighted it down with snow. This was total improvisation on our part -- but as you can see from the results it worked!
Here's a square after being dyed, rinsed, washed and dried. The main problem we had with some squares was that we over-dyed them. But that was the whole thing with making extra squares -- it allowed us to have some rejects.
So I'm definitely keen to get this finished! I really want to keep the quilting simple so the tie dye is the star. And of course I will be doing this again. It was so fun and I have about a million more ideas for both dying and then arranging the squares.
Have a great week. Posted by Riel Nason